Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What's your move..playa!?!?! :)


Ever surprise yourself and do something you thought you'd NEVER be able to do?! The older I get the more I realize how many limitations I put on myself. For instance, I love music but I honestly never thought I was good at it. I had classical piano lessons growing up but I was the typical kid that resisted practicing. Needless to say not much stuck! As I went through college music still wasn't a huge piece of my life. I was always the one secretly singing into the radio antenna but I never thought I could really sing. I'm not sure where that notion came from other than the enemy who wants to kill our dreams. I was a senior in college and a group of people praying for me said that I would be traveling and doing music and that God was going to open up doors I had never thought possible. I cried when I heard it but still nothing came of it..that is until 3 years ago. I started singing on Friday nights at my church. The first time I heard myself sing in the mic I freaked out! But I continued to try and began to realize that God had a portion of Himself that He wanted to communicate through me. That is all I have ever truly desired anyway. So another first happened this past friday, February 20, 2009.. I lead worship and PLAYED THE KEYS!!!! Now I was super nervous because my house is usually the only audience that ever hears me play but God was gracious to me and I had an amazing team playing with me! It was a good start and I began realizing how many times all the little steps I had taken had prepared me for that moment. I remember the pilot from the Hudson River crash saying that all his training had prepared him for THAT MOMENT. And what an important moment it was!!! God really does pull the details of our lives together and He prepares us even when we don't realize we're being prepared! Step out in your giftings and be encouraged that nothing is impossible to him who believes!!! So I'll keep practicing and stepping out to play in front of people. What's your next move?!!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

My AMAZINGLY TALENTED sister! Keep singing girl! I wish you were here to sing little Abby to sleep. :)

created to create said...

mary ruth you did an amazing job...you are a real encouragement to me :) love you

kristinadair said...

I remember at the end of the Month of Prayer a few years ago, you came and sang over me about God breaking me out in worship. Apparently, whatever God was doing in you spilled over to me because as you so nicely told me a few months later, "Kristin, I was where you are just like 5 minutes ago!" The interaction we had (we being you, me and The Big Man) at the altar that night changed my life! I love you!

Nic Nice said...

good post, I think I am able to relate very much as I usually am keeping myself from leading out in worship these days. It's like I feel that I'm not good enough, which when said out loud sounds silly.

Thanks for the challenge. Also, I'd like to add that I've always enjoyed hearing you sing.